Listening through all the noise


In quietness and in trust shall be your strength.
Isaiah 30:15

            Listening. If you look up the word ‘listen’ on Google, you will see it defined as “making an effort to hear something; be alert and ready to hear something.” Did you catch that last part? Two important terms jump out at me; be alert and ready to hear.
            To be alert, means you are aware of your surroundings, you are watchful and vigilant. You are paying attention. Imagine yourself on the beach and you are watching your child, playing in the water. If you are a good parent, you would give your child your undivided attention. Your eyes are glued on him and all other distractions (yes, even the good book or the smart-phone), have to be laid aside in order to ensure your child’s safety.
            To be ready to hear, means you are listening and straining to hear. Ever been on the phone with someone and you have a bad connection? You have to strain to hear their every word in order to carry on a conversation? Sometimes you even have to shut off any surrounding noises or withdraw to a room where there is absolute silence in order to hear the other person talking.
            Likewise, we need to put aside the ‘noise’ of this world and the distractions that prevent us from hearing God’s voice. Scripture tells us that Jesus often went off to a quiet place to pray. Why? Because he desired to spend uninterrupted time talking and listening to His father.
            I am currently at a turning point in my life. I am seeking God’s will for my future as I face some very important and life-changing choices. I have committed to forty-days of reading God’s word and prayer. I am also reading several biblically-based books about the will of God. Each morning, I read Scripture that addresses this issue and pray about it. And the Lord has guided me to some very insightful verses (maybe someday I’ll have to write a book about it J) But it wasn’t until day seven that I realized I’d been so busy reading and praying, that I hadn’t stopped to ask the Lord to speak to me. I was doing the homework, but wasn’t really listening to The Teacher.
            As I sat there, in a state of absolute quiet, I heard His voice speaking to me as clearly as if He were standing right next to me. He said “my child, I am not asking you to go out and do great things in my name, I ask only that you serve me faithfully right where I have planted you… until I say otherwise.”
            My first thought was “why didn’t I do this seven days ago?” J  But I was so busy trying to problem-solve through my own efforts that I forgot to stop and listen to my heavenly Father.
            When is the last time you went off to a quiet place to talk with God? Do you want to hear His voice? Stop the busy-ness, stop the noise, and just listen with open heart and mind. You’ll be so glad you did.

Comments

Popular Posts