Tears Like a Flood



I am worn out from sobbing.
All night I flood my bed with weeping,
Drenching it with my tears..
Psalm 6:6 (NLT)

One of the reasons I love to read the Psalms is the honesty and transparency expressed by the Psalmists. They don’t gloss over the ugliness of life or sugarcoat the truth. Psalm 6 is one of those Psalms, offering us a glimpse of the depths of sorrow David experienced at the hands of his enemies. It paints a vivid portrait of a man riddled with grief. His sorrow is so great, he is in agony (vs 2). He’s shed so many tears, his bed is drenched. He’s weak, not just emotionally, but physically. He’s as low as it gets.
Life is hard. The pain of loss, disappointment, oppression, and discouragement can weigh so heavily on us that we grow weary with sorrow. My British mother often told me about the thick fog that would sometimes creep in on the London area, swallowing everything and everyone in a thick blanket of darkness. At times, she couldn’t even see her hands in front of her face. Grief is much like that dense fog; it sneaks up on us, enveloping us so tightly, we can’t focus on anything but the pain.
Yet through his grief, David clung to God’s promises. “The LORD has heard my weeping. The LORD has heard my plea; the LORD will answer my prayer.” David knew, beyond a doubt, that God was still present, even in his darkest hour. He held on to the knowledge that God saw every single tear he cried. He was confident God was listening to his pleas. He had faith God would answer his prayer.

When you can’t feel God’s presence, hold on to His promises. He will never leave us, nor forsake us. He will always rescue those who put their trust in Him.

(Please feel free to leave a comment in the box below, or send me an email at reneevajkosrch@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you!)

Comments

Popular Posts