Be still




Be still, and know that I am God.

Psalm 46:10


            This morning I rescued another bird. This one was a little blue bird that my black Labrador discovered in our yard. For some reason, it wasn’t flying well and couldn’t get enough altitude to make it into the safety of our big oak tree. Of course, the dog thought it great fun to poke the bird with her nose and watch it flutter in panic as it tried, unsuccessfully, to fly away.
            I quickly intervened, pushing our dog away as I scooped the frightened creature up in my hands. I tucked the poor bird into my coat, where it quickly nuzzled into the warmth of my shoulder. Because it appeared to just be frightened and not injured, I thought it best to place it somewhere safe in our woods. I found just the right spot; an old tree with a hollow. Ever so gently, I took the bird out of my coat and placed it in the shallow cavity where it leaned into the protection of the big, old tree.
            Lately, I’ve been feeling a lot like that little bird; scared, frazzled, fluttering around in a panic as I try to keep my life together. So many worries, so many cares and Satan constantly poking at me, whispering doubts into my ear; “This could turn out really badly,” “look where he might be headed,” “what if….?”
            In the midst of the fears and the tears, I turned to Psalm 46:10. “Be still, and know that I am God.” As I read this verse over and over, an image of that little blue bird came to mind. As soon as I placed him in the hollow of the tree, the bird sensed he was safe and stopped struggling. Instead of fighting, he leaned into the protection of that big, old tree.
            Likewise, God urges me to lean into him, to find my refuge in his presence. He wants me to find in him the peace and quietness my soul longs for. He says “Be still, my child – in other words, ‘let go, I’ve got this.’ Step away from those struggles and allow me to be God – all-powerful, faithful, loving and good. I’ll handle those concerns because I love you and I care about you. Lean into me, trust me with your life and the lives of those you love, for that is the only way to find true rest and peace.”
            Worrying won’t change a thing. God, on the other hand, can change everything. Be still, and know that He is God.

            

Comments

Popular Posts