My name is Jacob. I have autism.




            I stand beside my mother as acquaintances pass our seats and stop to greet her. Funny thing is, no one stops to greet me. I must be invisible, or maybe I’m just viewed as part of her non-essential baggage like the purse she carries or the coat draped over her arm.
            It’s sort of odd when you know that I stand six feet tall and weigh 200 lbs. It's hard to miss me. But they do. No one takes the time to say “Hi, Jacob” or proffer their hand to shake. Not that I’d want to shake hands anyway. I have an aversion to being touched. But the gesture would show some sort of acknowledgement that I’m a breathing, living soul who craves to be recognized and loved, just like any other human being.
            Or maybe they think I have leprosy and if they touch me or get too close, they might somehow catch my autism. I remember Mom reading some Bible stories that spoke of lepers who were outcasts because they were contagious. Until Jesus touched them and healed them. Is that why people avoid me?
            Or is it because I don’t look people in the eyes? All I really see of them are their newly polished shoes. And as I stand beside my mother, I watch this procession of spruced up footwear stop beside her, then pass me by without a word or an outstretched hand.
            I wish people would talk to me. Even if it’s just to say ‘hi’. Mom says that I’m hard to understand, that I mumble my words. But that shouldn’t stop them from offering me some sort of greeting. I’m human too and I’d love for someone to show they care about me.
            Then I wonder what will happen when Mom goes to heaven. She’s getting on in years and odds are, she’ll go before me. So what happens when I’m on my own? Will I still be invisible to others or be someone people avoid greeting? Maybe my big sister will take me places with her. Will I then become an extension of her?
            “Autism is not contagious” I long to yell from the rooftops. Not that it will make any difference to those who feel awkward around people with special needs. Autism just makes me a bit different from what others call ‘the norm.’ So does that make me invisible? No, it just means they need to find a way to interact with me.
            A “hello, Jacob” or a “how are you today?” might be nice. A “nice to see you again,” would be even better. “Anything exciting happen to you this week?” would be out of this world. I’ll answer, if you’ll take the time to listen. And if you don’t understand me, don’t walk away. Tell me about your week and what’s new in your life. I’ll listen to you because I care.
            Because I’m Jacob. Because I’m a person with feelings, emotions and a heart that beats. Just like you.


Comments

Popular Posts