Breaking Free



You put me in a box, every time you label me,
A box that comes with pre-conceived ideas.
Black or white,
Man or woman,
Rich or poor,
Young or old,
Able or disabled.

Do not define me by my race,
I am so much more than color.
Do not limit me because of gender,
I’m not bound by expectations.
Do not judge me by my age,
I am more than just a number.
Do not reject me because I’m different,
I’m really just the same as you.

That box is hurting me,
Why can’t you see?
I am so much more than eyes perceive.
A life,
A person.
A human being.
A father, a mother,
A son or a daughter,
A soul who wants to love and to be loved.

That box you’ve put me in,
Has become my prison.
Confining me,
Restraining me,
Limiting what I can say or do.
You tag me to fit the pigeon-holes of society,
Without regard to the being inside of me.

I hate these bars,
These walls of seclusion.
Why can’t you set me free?
Free to love,
Free to help,
Free to learn,
Free to live and
Be the person that I want to be.

One day, I will break free,
I’ll tear down these walls and just be me.
No more labels,
No more prejudice,
No more intolerance,
No more bias.

Instead of separation
We’ll have unity.
Instead of cages
We’ll have liberty.
Instead of hatred,
We will find peace.

I am….
Your neighbor,
Your student,
Your co-worker,
Your client,
Your fellow citizen,
And maybe even….

… your friend.

By Renée Vajko-Srch

Comments

Popular Posts