A MOTHER'S TOOLBOX (part one)

Tool #1: Prayer
Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
Ephesians 6:18 (NIV)

          When I first met my husband, I didn’t own a toolbox. My junk drawer contained two screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. All you need, right? Well, Leonard didn’t quite agree and I soon found myself in possession of a collection of tools, most of which I had no clue how to even use.
            One of my husband’s favorite is the cordless screw-driver. At the push of a button, the head goes spinning like Taz, the animated cartoon character from Warner Brothers’ “Looney Tunes.” The first time I tried using it, I was a bit intimidated; that thing goes fast! But I was also impressed at how quickly and efficiently it secured a screw into the wall.
            But I found out a few things in the process of using it: 1.    It doesn’t work without the battery pack (or power pack) 2.    The battery pack has to snap in properly so the power supply connects to the tool.
Sure, you can use the cordless screw-driver without the power pack. If you block the head, you can use it just like a regular screw-driver. You can also use the handle to pound in a few nails. But that’s not the way it was designed. Nor is it being used to its full potential.
      Prayer is like that power pack. If we are in connection with God, through the Holy Spirit, our lives are transformed. We have the power of Christ flowing through us, empowering us to do great things. James 5:16 tells us “the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective: (NIV). Wow! I don’t know about you, but that really excites me! Through prayer, I am empowered and effective to make a change in my life, my family’s life and my sons’ lives. What great thing would you like to see happen through prayer?
      In Ephesians, chapter six, Paul refers to a spiritual battle going on between the powers of heaven and the powers of darkness. He calls us to ‘be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms…Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people’ (Ephesians 6:10-12).
      According to Paul, we are in a battle, a battle for ourselves and a battle for our children. But God has provided us with the one true weapon that can protect us against the devil’s attacks; prayer. Let me give you an example from our own lives.
      Recently, my twin boys were having bad dreams and waking up several times throughout the night, which affected their moods at school, causing meltdowns and rash behaviors. I was receiving almost daily calls and e-mails from the school about negative incidents that were happening throughout the day.
      As I prayed about it, a small voice whispered in my head “pray over your sons.” That night, as I tucked them into bed, I laid my hand on their foreheads and prayed over them. I asked the Lord to remove all negative thoughts and fearful dreams and to fill their minds with his Spirit. Since then, they’ve been sleeping peacefully each night.
      Coincidence? I think not. The power of a mother’s prayer? I know so! Prayer claims power over the evil one who is lurking and looking for ways to bring us down. The devil seeks to ‘steal, kill and destroy’ (John 10:10). He wants to take away our hope, dash our dreams, drive us to despair and to question our faith in God.
      But Paul calls us to stand against the powers of evil by praying in the Spirit. What does this mean? It means aligning our will to God’s through prayer. When we earnestly come to God with our needs and our worries, and give them to Him, He will bring about the change that’s needed, be it in our children’s lives or in our own. He will guide us, strengthen us and give us the hope we need to carry on.
      So, how do we pray for our children, especially those with special needs?
1.    Pray for yourself. If we, as parents, are not healthy, well rested and spiritually strong, then how can we properly care for our children? Ask God to provide you with the rest you need, to give you good health and stamina, to grant you wisdom and guidance for all the decisions you need to make in regards to your child’s daily needs and his/her future needs, to bring you respite care and a support group, to fill your heart with unconditional love, to impart on you His grace, forgiveness, patience and gentleness, to give you peace when the waters are rough and help you to focus on the important rather than the urgent.
2.    Pray for your child. That God will watch over him and keep him safe, that He will grant him a calm spirit and the wisdom to know right from wrong. Ask the Lord to fill him with courage to meet each challenge and grant him joy despite the trials. Pray that God will bring him friends that will love him unconditionally and other adults whom you trust that can step in when you’re not able to be there for him.
3.    Pray over your child. Pray for peace when he’s afraid, for protection against the evil one, and for safety as he goes about his day.
4.    Pray with your child. Teach him to bring his troubles and fears to the One who cares and teach him to thank his Heavenly Father when He answers.
5.    Pray with others. Find a Christian support group who will faithfully pray for your child and his/her special needs. Pray with them, either in a physical location or via email, skype or phone. It’s so important to have others come alongside, especially when you have a child with special needs. Ask them to pray for good doctors, effective counselors and therapies that will help your child progress. And don’t forget to share the answers to prayer with those who are praying with and for you, so they can rejoice in God’s faithfulness too.
6.    Lastly, I’d like to recommend starting a prayer journal. I have a devotional diary where I jot down verses that have spoken to me and thoughts on what is currently going on in my life. Then I have a separate notebook where I list all my prayer requests. I write the prayers in black ink on the right hand page so I can write the answers to those prayers in red ink on the opposite page. It is such a blessing and encouragement to see all that red ink filling the notebook, boldly proclaiming God’s faithfulness. Encourage your child to do the same. You can purchase a simple notebook in which he/she can list their own prayer requests, or you can help them as needed. This way your child will see for him/herself how God has listened to his/her prayers and has answered. Be specific. Be diligent. And don’t be afraid to make your requests known to God. He already knows what’s in your heart and mind. He’s just waiting for you to tell Him.
Let’s snap on that “power pack” right now and pray together; Father, thank you for the privilege we have to come into your presence and bring our requests to you. We thank you for caring about each one of us. Thank you for your great love. I praise you, that you know everything about each one us. Grant us wisdom and discernment to guide our children, patience in times of trouble and peace to weather the storm. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
I hope this blog has been helpful and encouraging to you. Please don’t forget to refer to my column below “For Further Reading” so you can check out some of the books I have found helpful in my own prayer life. May God richly bless you. And may prayer become as customary to you as breathing is to life.

    

     

Comments

Popular Posts