Our Burden Bearer




Praise be to the Lord,
to God our Savior,
who daily bears our burdens.
Psalm 68:19 (NLT)


            I’m a packer and a stuffer. You know those people who carry half their household with them every time they travel? That’s me. So when I went to visit my parents in Indiana last week, I packed a satchel full of items that were heavy and cumbersome; my laptop, I-pad, two Bibles, reference materials, books, and my current writing project, just in case I had a free moment with nothing to do.
Seeing as my mother was in Intensive Care, I parked my car in the parking garage, hefted the satchel onto my shoulder, and trudged through the concrete structure to the hospital itself. Stooped like a Sherpa beneath his load, I hiked down long sterile corridors searching for the elevators to take me up to ICU. When I finally got to my mom's room, my shoulder was burning and my back was screaming in protest.
Imagine my relief when, as we prepared to leave, my father picked up my satchel and carted it back to my car for me. He took my load because he loves me and knew it was too heavy for me to carry.
            We all carry burdens; whether emotional, physical, or spiritual, they all have the potential to crush us beneath their weight. Some days I wake up and wonder how I can cope with the all struggles and challenges that life seems to be throwing my way. If I had to handle them alone, I would certainly fall. Thankfully, I have a Savior who wakes me with His love each morning and whispers, “Let me take that load today. It’s too heavy for you to carry. “
            So often, I think I have to shoulder the burden. I don’t want to let go. I don’t want to yield control for fear God might lead where I don’t want to follow. So I cling to my worries, hang on to my man-made plans, and maintain a firm grip on my burden instead of simply saying, “Thanks, Dad,” and handing it over to Him.

            God doesn’t promise there won’t be hard times. But He does promise He will walk beside us through those dark days and will shoulder our fears, our worries, and our cares. Because He’s our Abba. Because He wants to. Because He loves us. Because He cares.

Comments

Popular Posts