Trusting God



In quietness and trust is your strength.
Isaiah 30:15 (NIV)


            One of the greatest challenges I’ve faced in raising a special-needs child is learning not to worry about his future. I struggle with the tendency to live in self-reliance mode, believing somehow that I am the one responsible for my child’s well-being. While it is true that God has entrusted this child into my care for a while, and I am responsible for his physical, educational, financial and emotional welfare, there are certain things far beyond my abilities. I won’t always be around to provide, to help, to guide and instruct him. I can’t physically be with him 24/7. And I can’t control what his future will be. I can take certain steps to prepare him for the work force and the possibility of living in a semi-independent living facility, but the truth of the matter is that one day, God will call me home.
            Stephen Mann expressed it well when he tweeted, “Anxiety comes when we look at our circumstances and then look at our ability, but faith comes when we look at our circumstance and then at God’s ability.”[1]
So, how do I release that voice of doubt that keeps nagging at my brain, saying “What’s going to happen to him when you’re gone?” I bring it to the foot of the cross and leave it there. Permanently. I refuse to pick it up again and again, like a travel-worn backpack I lug around wherever I go.
            Look at the entire verse in Isaiah 30:15. This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.”
            In their stubbornness, the Israelites continued to refuse God’s help, relying instead on Egypt and their swift horses. While they could have placed their trust in God, which would have resulted in rest, quietness, and strength, they chose to rely on their tactics and strategies which ultimately led them to defeat and bondage.
            God loves my special-needs child so much more than I ever can, and He will take care of him. He wants me to place my complete trust in Him, for it only then that my soul can find true rest.




[1] https://twitter.com/thestephenmann1/status/870673131366752258

Comments

Popular Posts