HEALING TAKES TIME



          “This will take some time to heal properly.” Not what I wanted to hear from my physician. Given the option, I’d be walking by now; taking care of my home, my family, my responsibilities. But God didn’t choose that path for me. He chose the tougher road, the one that takes time and makes me wonder why the marathon instead of the sprint?
          As the result of a car accident on April 7, 2017, I have been very slowly recuperating from a foot and ankle injury. There were days and nights of brutal pain, shifting positions every few minutes in an effort to alleviate that pain and get some much-needed rest. There were days when the only thing I accomplished was to soak my pillow with tears.
          I am finally on the road to healing. That’s no easy road either. Yet through the pain, I’ve rediscovered a dependency upon God and my family that can’t be measured. In my need, others ministered to me. In my utter helplessness and dependency, I found love and caring from unexpected sources, people I’ve known but now consider true friends.
          Healing takes time. It takes tears and a whole lot of patience. But if we want to heal properly, be it physical, emotional or both, we need to live one day at a time, knowing that each pain-filled day brings us closer to the healing we so urgently crave. And as God works in our bodies and minds and souls, He is able to take each tear, each ache, and each sorrow, weaving it into a masterpiece that will ultimately bring glory to His name.
          His timing is always perfect. He’s not slow, He’s not late, He never forgets us in the midst of the pain. One of my favorite verses is a promise from Ecclesiastes 3:11; He makes all things beautiful in His time.

          I still don’t know why God allowed my accident to happen. But I am confident that He has a purpose and a plan and that in the end, He will bring complete and total healing to my body. There will still be scars and twinges of pain when the weather changes; but they are there to remind me God is faithful and working a beautiful plan for my life.  

Comments

Popular Posts