Dear Mother,


           
I saw you cry last night. Tears of frustration, tears of pain, tears of disappointment. I know you didn’t see me or even know I was there, but I was right beside you, catching every single tear as it slid down your cheek. I put each tear in a bottle because your sorrow matters that much to me (1).
            I heard your pleas this morning. Prayers for a better day, pleas for some sign of progress be it ever so small. I heard when you implored me “why?” and “how long, O Lord?” I heard you when you pleaded for healing and my special touch, and it broke my heart that I had to answer “not yet.” (2)
            I shared your grief when you touched your son and he pulled away. I felt the hurt and disappointment, saw the longing in your eyes as you watched other mothers cuddle their little ones, wishing you could hold your own child without him screaming as though in pain. (3)
            I watched you tenderly place your child in his wheel-chair, and feed him with a spoon. I watched you as you looked at your son flapping his hands before his face. I saw you drop your head in defeat. (4)
            I felt your pain when your child dissolved into a meltdown and you had to wrap him tightly in your arms until he calmed down. I felt your pain as you lay beside him on the floor, the calm after the storm, both worn out from the struggle. (5)
            I see your heart, full of love for this child to whom you’ve given life, a love that is selfless and unconditional. I see the sacrifices, the sleepless nights, the heartaches and broken dreams. And yet you love him with the fierceness of a mother bear protecting her cub. A love that endures through the good and the bad. A love that only dwells in a devoted mother’s heart.
            Stay strong, dear mother. I have gathered your tears and I have carried your prayers to the Father. He knows your need, He sees your heart and He cares for you. Better days will come, days with laughter and success, days where hope is within sight. But until then, hold strong.
And though you may never see me with human eyes, I am right beside you every moment of every day (6).  I am with you when you pray for your child. I am with you as you struggle through the day. I am with you as you tuck your child into bed at night. I am with you always, for I love you with a love far greater than any mother can ever have for her child.
I loved you so much I died for you. There is no greater love than this. (7)

1/ Psalm 56:8
2/ Psalm 34:17
3/ Isaiah 53:4
4/ Psalm 33:18
5/ Hebrews 4:15
6/ Isaiah 41:10

7/ John 3:16

Comments

Popular Posts